Search This Blog

Tuesday 20 November 2018

Frost Star




I've had a little panic, realising how close we are getting to Christmas. I make all my greetings cards but I hadn't given it a thought this year. So this week I have been getting to grips with this year's design.
Trying to come up with something different each year is a real challenge. It has to be small enough to fit on a greetings cards but complicated enough to have some interest. I got stuck as I'd decided my star would have four points. I set about sketching and drawing out stitch diagrams.
But my pile of failed experiments started to grow!! Most of my stars looked like flowers, so I decided to try five points. Now I produced a pile of star fish. Eventually I came up with something passable only to discover that there was an almost identical design already on Ravelry. Doh!
I kept coming back to Barbara's Borage. 
It feels like cheating to reuse a design, but by the time I drew it out with just five points it started to design itself. 
 
Et Viola!
Nick has named it Frost Star. I've created a little downloadable PDF pattern for you. It's all been thrown together in a bit of a rush so please let me know if you find any mistakes so I can put them right.
I have used Scheepjes Twinkle which comes in such a glorious assortment of colours, that you can have any colour star you fancy. The yarn is 75% cotton and 25% Polyester, classed as a DK the recommended hook size is 4mm. I have actually used a 3mm hook wanting to keep the design small enough to fit on a standard greetings card.

(I had promised you something entirely different this week and rather unusual.  I have already spent sometime on it and I'm really excited about sharing it with you. 😉 In fact it will take more than one post. So if you need to take a break from all things seasonal, pop back in a fortnight!)

2 comments: