Search This Blog

Tuesday 11 July 2017

Gauge Matters

Nick tells me that I should write my blogs for myself,and this one is certainly something I need to work on, however it is also for Nan Jan!

You know that information at the start of every pattern which so many of us ignore, Yes the bit about Gauge, well we shouldn't. Sometimes we ignore it because we're just excited to get on with the pattern. Sometimes we ignore it because no matter how hard we try we just can't match it. Sometimes we ignore it because we're worried about running out of yarn. Here are some reasons not to ignore it.

The main reason for making a gauge square is this simple. If you don't do it the item you are making will be a different size. This is especially important if the item is a garment.
The next reason is that the drape may be all wrong or the yarn may be wrong. (Which is why in my last blog I said I shouldn't go window shopping for yarn!) 
Another reason would be to find out if the gauge and drape change after blocking.
And lastly it's a good chance to practise the stitch pattern before you get going. With a new stitch that you're unfamiliar with, you might find that your tension changes as you get more practised.


How to make a gauge square.
You know Dora Ohrenstein  is the first person to tell me how to do this! Maybe it just seems obvious to everyone else! Just in case, this is what I learnt.
1. Use the recommended hook size and follow the instructions provided for the gauge pattern.
2. Crochet at least a 6" square. That's 15cms for the metric minded.
3. Measure it on a flat surface with a flat ruler, not a tape measure.
4. Make a note of the yarn, the hook size, the number of rows and the number of stitches in the size area asked for in the pattern. This is usually 10cm by 10cm. Make this note somewhere sensible where you'll be able to find it again, Rachel, it might be a good idea to date it as well!
5. Now block the swatch. This one was new to me. It would be helpful if designers told us if the gauge was pre- or post- blocking, from now on I'm going to assume it's post blocking.
6. Measure again and make a new note. If I'd done this with the last garment I'd made it would have definitely have made a difference.



I can't match the gauge.
This is my usual problem. I'm a tight crocheter. Often we are told to go up or down a hook size, but if you do this you might find that the drape is all wrong. Either it's too loose or too dense and heavy. But even if I do this it won't make my swatch match. I can usually manage to get the right amount of stitches, the width measurement, but I can't match the rows, the height measurement. The reason for this is that I am either holding the thread too tightly or pulling the loop too tightly on my hook, or maybe a combination of both. So what I need to practise is pulling up a larger loop and resisting the urge to tug it back down.
Perhaps you have the opposite problem, in which case you too need to work on your tension.  Perhaps wrapping the yarn around another finger will be the key.

Why did I measure my gauge square twice? 
It should be the post blocked square that matches the patterns gauge. But you need to know what the pre-blocked gauge was. As you crochet you need to keep a check on your tension, every now and then you should measure an area to make sure nothing has changed. Et viola! a perfect fit!

No comments:

Post a Comment