Search This Blog

Tuesday 13 March 2018

Book Review: Custom Crocheted Sweaters

It was my birthday this week, which means cake and crochet presents! After dropping some HUGE hints I got Dora Ohrensteins first book of sweaters. (Thanks Nick!)
Have you noticed how many patterns there are for cowls, scarves and shawls? I think it's because we're all a little afraid of taking on a garment. That's why I'm such a big fan of Top Down Sweaters. It's so easy to adjust the size as you go. My first attempt at a sweater was made without a pattern. Because I started from the bottom and worked upwards the sleeves are just a tad too long!

I never intended that this blog should be about what "Rachie did next"! It is meant to contain all the stuff that I've looked for at one time or another and not found. I get so frustrated when deciding whether to buy a book or not. I bet you've got a few disappointing purchases on your shelves that you've never used. So here's what's actually in "Custom Crocheted Sweaters" and why you should rush out and buy it!
This book is not only like a Master Class in crocheting garments, but includes masterclasses. It's a great bedtime read if like me you're so addicted to crochet you just have to take the stuff to bed with you! To start with, Dora explains the 4 most common ways to make sweaters and how to make sure that the garment you make will not only fit you but will also be flattering.
Next she gives you a set of patterns which explore each of these styles. Out of the ten patterns there is only really one that I wouldn't want to make for myself. There are a couple of other ones that I would want to alter, mainly make longer, (Let's face it I'm not 21 anymore!) or change the sleeve length. I don't see this as being a problem because that's exactly what this book is about.
There are a huge 17 lessons teaching you how to alter  everything from the neckline down. These lessons are spread throughout the book so you don't have to feel overwhelmed.
The patterns include cardies and jackets as well as sweaters. Rather than my try and describe them use this link to pop over to Ravelry to have a look at them. The patterns start with the most basic dropped shoulder method and move through tailoring, raglan and top down construction. Right now I'm interested in raglan construction so I'm going to be starting somewhere near the back of the book. Even if you never make one of the patterns, this book will be a boon to all your garment making.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment