Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 April 2018

Crochet Tips: The Humble Dc Part 2

If you thought that we'd tortured the poor Double Crochet enough already, well that's nothing compared to what it will suffer this week! It could be argued that these offerings are not Double Crochet at all. That's why I decided to blog about them separately. (Just a reminder that we are talking about Single Crochet in USA terminology.)
Let's start with Extended Dc because it makes a good comparison with the others. The best way I can describe this is that it is a Dc standing on the shoulders of a chain st. The image above is from the front, worked from the front only.
The stitch is begun as for a normal Dc, when there are two loops on the hook the next Yarn Over is pulled through the first loop only creating the 'chain'. Now Yarn Over again and pull through both loops to form the Dc. 
What it does is to create a stitch about the same height as a Half Treble (Hdc) but without the bulk.
This is the same stitch on reverse.
Now compare this with Knotted Stitch. (This is where you might like to argue with me and say this is a Half Treble!) I would describe this as a Dc standing on the shoulders of a Slip stitch. 
Start by Yarn Over the hook, before you put the hook in the next st. Pull up a loop and pull it through the 'Yarn Over' only. That's the slip st. Now finish the stitch as if it were a Dc, that is Yarn over and pull through both loops on hook. Oh this stitch is made from the front only.
If you work the same stitch 'to and fro' then suddenly it is called Counterpane Stitch. (I'm wondering if that translates into American, my dictionary tells me it was traditionally a quilted bed covering. Americans might say Afghan.)

If you've already got a hook out and you're trying out these stitches then you're as weird as I am! It's these teeny tiny differences between stitches that fascinate me. If on the other hand your head is swimming well I can only apologise. For those of you who are even more pedantic than me, I did think that I should have included Crab stitch and Loop stitch too!

(Please can someone tell me if Americans have counterpanes even if you're reading this in a year's time. You're still only be the third person to visit!)


3 comments:

  1. I've been crocheting here in the USA for 40 years. Never seen a counterpane (stitch or blanket) or heard of it. I thought counterpane was maybe a way of hanging windows! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! The differences between UK and US English are a constant source of delight and fascination for me. Although my Granny was probably the last person to have a counterpane and not a bedspread! Thanks for stopping by and finally answering my question. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Only time I've heard of a counterpane is in knitting - it is a type of square knitted in four parts. Generally with a leaf shape in one corner, that becomes the "center" when the four squares are joined. More squares are created, and joined into a blanket/afghan/throw/bedspread. I guess the crochet equivalent might be a "Granny square".

    ReplyDelete