Search This Blog

Tuesday 25 September 2018

How to Draw a Crochet Chart

So you'd like to learn to draw your own stitch diagrams but you're not a computer wizard? - Me neither!

I was going to give you lots of links at this point to other websites like Edie Eckman's Blog, or LillaBjorn's and then tell you to ignore them all! But let's just save time. Trust me I've done the research and it was all beyond me.😖

Here's the idiot proof system that Nick devised for me using Microsoft Publisher. (Please don't think you have to go out and part with heap loads of money. There are loads of free software companies with excellent packages for you. Check out this link. The only one I've used is OpenOffice which was really user friendly.)

First Draw Your Symbols. 
The first thing I did was to create a page of symbols just like the ones I used in the last Blog Post. Whenever I need a symbol I can go back to this file and copy/paste into whatever I am doing now.
Draw The Framework. 
Next I draw the framework for my new design on the Master Page of my new document. The Master Page is the back layer which won't be visible in the finished image.
Draw The Chart.
Close the Masterpage and start drawing the chart. Place each symbol onto your template. Stretch the symbols, change the colours, add arrows, add numbers.
Finish.
Save the chart as a publisher file, a PDF, a Jpeg, a GIF, a PNG or plenty of other options!

         You want more detailed instructions than that? Of course you do!
Here are my downloadable PDF instructions! I hope this tutorial will walk you through the process. Print it out and refer to it as you go along. It might look a bit scary to start with, but just take it step by step. Please ask questions if you need more help.
That makes it a very short post for browsers and web-surfers, but plenty of information for you to get going, sharing your fabulous designs with the rest of us!

In the next post we'll start looking at how to read and write pattern instructions. (If in the meantime you have a better solution, or a system which works for you, please be sure to comment!)

No comments:

Post a Comment