Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 July 2019

Crochet Tips: Foundation Chain



I was thinking of calling this post 'How to end at the beginning!' Borders are usually something we add at the end of the project but I have discovered how to beautify the beginning.
I've already talked about foundation stitches in a previous post. In the image above the dark blue is the very first line of crochet. The top four all use Double Chain, while in the final image the scallop is made at the same time as the foundation row.

Let's start with Double Chain.

Doesn't it look like two rows of chain stitches laying next to each other? I've altered the finished look by changing which loop I work into with the first row of stitches. Here's how to make it: 
Chain 2 stitches (sts) and insert hook into first chain st made, Yarn Over (YO)
Pull yarn thru the chain st only, YO
Pull yarn thru both loops on hook
First Stitch made.
.
*Insert hook in left hand loop, YO and pull thru first loop only
YO and pull thru both loops on hook.
Second stitch made.
Repeat from* to desired length!
 
So now that you have your foundation Double Chain you can decide how to work into it. In the following images you will see the position of the foundation before I worked into it.
In this example I've worked into the top two loops with double crochet (SC-USA). It leaves a neat row of 'chain' stitches at the base. It's a bit like working into the back bump or third loop on a row of chain stitches except it's more substantial, stable and easier to do!
 
Now I've turned it over and worked on the back, into the top loop only.
Here I've turned it upside down and worked into the top loop only.
This is the same as the grey version except that I turned it over and worked into the top loop on the back. It is my favourite version of the four. I can imagine this at the neckline of a top-down sweater.
 

Now let's look at the Scallop Edging.

I found this in an old book on crochet, but I couldn't make head nor tail of the instructions. So this is my version!
 
Start by making 4 chain Sts.
Then make a Treble (Dc-USA) in the chain furthest from the hook.
*Chain4, Treble in chain furthest from the hook,
Repeat from* to required length. Each Scallop is equivalent to 3 stitches plus 2, (a stitch at the beginning and end of the row).
Where do you place your first row of stitches? This was the part that I found hard to understand. Locate the two diagonals, as highlighted in the following image. The black dots show where to insert your hook.
As in this image, ensure that your hook goes under two loops.
I've made these examples in Scheepjes Whirl (4ply) and to give you a better idea of what it might look like I've added more rows of stitches.

I'm sure that there must be alsorts of other ways of making a foundation row, so I hope that you are now thinking about your beginnings it a different way!

No comments:

Post a Comment