Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 November 2019

Britta's Juletrae Dreamcatcher

Ok, I'm going to need you all to keep quiet about this blog post until after Christmas. My mad dear friend Britta put in an order for some mini Christmas Tree dreamcatcher decorations for her gift this year. The only direction I got was that they should be, "shiny whitey silvery"! To be honest I've been putting off the whole idea since last year, but at last I've knuckled down and got on with the job. 
It seems like a waste of a pattern if I don't share it with you. You've just got time to make some yourself or use the idea to convert a favourite design to fit in a ring.
Let's start with the general idea. What ring can you use? Well anything you can find really! Try searching for craft rings or dream catcher hoops made of wood, metal or plastic. Also consider jewelry, macrame and florist supplies as well as lamp shade making and embroidery rings. It all depends on what size you need. In this design the wooden and embroidery hoops don't work very well as they are too deep.
 
The craft rings that I am using have a rather unattractive soldering mark. So If your ring isn't very attractive it can be wrapped in ribbon, cloth or try double crocheting (Sc-USA) around it. Alternatively hand them over to your handy hubby and get him to clean up the rings using emery cloth!
How do you attach your design to the ring? If you double crochet around the ring you can catch the high points of your motif at regular distances with slip stitches. Or use chain stitches to catch the motif at different heights. I've given you instructions for both.
Britta's Dreamcatchers are worked in Rico Essentials 'Crochet Glitz', which is a number 10 crochet thread. I am trying to give up plastic so I really shouldn't be using this yarn as it includes 6% polyester. You could replace this with a 100% cotton thread instead. For this size I'm using a 10cm craft ring.
Just in case you don't want to use thread I thought I better try it out in other weights.
Scheepjes 'Cotton 8', which is a fingering weight 100% cotton yarn, works well in a 12.5cm ring.
Sceepjes 'Twinkle' is a DK weight mixed fibre yarn and fits a 15cm hoop.
Let's talk about the pattern. I'm dyslexic so I try to write my patterns with that in mind, so you will find a full diagram in 3 colours and photos for each round. I'd say it's an intermediate pattern but hopefully I've given you enough information to help you over any difficulties you might have.
Here's the link you're looking for, The PDF Pattern Download!

Fastening Off... 

No comments:

Post a Comment