Search This Blog

Monday 5 June 2017

Crochet Heroes - Frank O'Randle

At Art College we were told that we should always know WHY we liked or didn't like something. On my crochet journey so far, I made a few leaps forward when I got to Frank O'Randle's Mini Rings Of Change pattern.
Leap One
I came to the realisation that I hate repetition. The pattern is called rings of change because every round is different. While I love patchwork style throws I could never make one myself. I couldn't sit and make the same design over and over and over again!
Leap Two
At the time I was looking for a rug design and I realised that the size the pattern comes out depends on the size of yarn and the size of hook used. I wanted a rug that would stand up to my dogs and would be washable, so I chose to make my rug using  PEPPERELL-Bonnie Macrame Braid Craft Cord which is 6mm thick. 


Leap Three
I really wanted an oblong rug but couldn't find a pattern I liked. Just as necessity is the mother of invention I worked out how to use the pattern I already had. If I did this again I'd do it a bit differently now but it was a big leap forward for me then. It gave me the confidence to customise! (Sadly the only photo I have of it has Nicks feet sticking out in the middle and as this was some time ago the rug is now looking a little the worse for wear!) How I did this was to start with an oblong of trebles in the centre instead of a circle as above.
 

I hope this gives you an idea, anyway. It's amazing how many things I've made that I've failed to record. (It just shows how we under value our own skills!)

No comments:

Post a Comment