Search This Blog

Tuesday 17 July 2018

Magic Ring Alternative

This week I promised you a free pattern. You know what happens to best laid plans?!  But in the mean time here's a little morsel or an update on my previous post about Magic Rings.
Last week was a pretty awful week and it's messed up my plans a bit. As my Grandpa, a seaman used to say, "worse things happen at sea"! Although my pattern is nearly ready to go, my dyslexic brain means I always check, check, check and check again. So sorry chaps but you will definitely have that in a fortnight come hell or high water!

So I've been having a Jen Tyler marathon. I hope you've heard of Jen Tyler from Hooks 'n Tales. She is both barking mad, amazingly sweet and ridiculously talented. She is currently embarking on a "Karoo Vintage Mystery-A-Long".  
Any hoo- I was doing one of her patterns the other day and watching one of her videos when she mentioned a different way to do the magic ring. She claimed to have learnt it from Esther Dijkstra, It's all in a Nutshell. (I can't find it on her Blog.) I know some of us struggle with the Magic Ring. Some of the instructions I've seen also make it look much harder than it is and have you doing some weird thing wrapping the yarn round your fingers!! This struck me as so sensible that I've been using it ever since.

Without a slip knot on your hook Chain one! That's it!
If you are going to Double Crochet (Sc) into the ring, 'Chain One' (that counts as your first stitch)
and continue to make your Double Crochets into the first chain.
If you are going to Treble Crochet (Dc-USA) then Chain Three (that counts as your first stitch)
and continue to make your Trebles into the first chain.
When you've completed your stitches, pick up that loose tail and pull tight!

 It's exactly the same as the way I told you before, but it's a much simpler way of thinking about it, and that's what makes it easier!

So come back in a fortnight and I will DEFINITELY have a freebie for you. Consider it carved in stone!

No comments:

Post a Comment