Search This Blog

Tuesday 31 October 2017

Crochet Tips: Cluster Stitches Part 4

In my final post on clusters I'm looking at crossed stitches. The first example is quite simple but the second is a bit more of a challenge! The Crossed Clusters are made one in front of the other, but the Woven Shell Stitch is made with one shell enclosing the other.
Crossed Clusters
 I'm working two trebles between each of my crossed clusters, so I've begun with two trebles. Skip a stitch and Treble-2-together in the next stitch...
Working behind the cluster just made, Treble-2-together in the skipped stitch.
 
 Woven Shell Stitch 
I have begun the row with a treble st (or chain 3), skip the next three stitches and place the first shell in the next stitch.
Three treble in the indicated stitch...
Chain three...
 The next shell will be made in the indicated stitch...
 Yarn over the hook, place the hook as shown, yarn over and pull up a long loop...

Complete the treble and make two more in the same way...
Skip one stitch and Treble crochet in the next stitch...
The next row of stitches are made slightly differently. The row is begun with four treble in the first stitch, Double crochet into the chain 3, and make the first shell stitch in the middle treble of the shell stitch to the left below...
 Chain 3 and make the second shell stitch in the middle treble of the shell stitch to the right, and finish with a double crochet in the next chain 3.
The row is completed with another four treble in the last stitch. For the third row repeat the instructions for the first row but replace the treble between each woven shell with a double crochet.
 That completes my look into cluster stitches, I'm sure I haven't exhausted the subject!
A note about the yarn I've used; I use a Wendy chunky cotton yarn to demonstrate my stitches because it has good definition and is easy to photograph. But on the more complex stitches, I think you'll agree it doesn't look so good, which is why I added some examples made in Pattons 4ply cotton yarn. 
I hope you've found something new and interesting in these posts.

No comments:

Post a Comment